Friday, June 29, 2012


This week has been very different than our first two weeks. Not only have we had some more power outages and the internet going in and out, we also haven’t had water since Monday afternoon. Lucky for me, this time I wasn’t in the shower! It may seem bad, but I’m happy to say that we’ve all just accepted it and gone on about our days.

We finished what we had to do in the clinic last Friday, so we’ve spent this week visiting different organizations that Partners for Care supports.

First, we visited Tree House. This is a small orphanage with about 35 kids, including Stephen. The children welcomed us with a few songs that just melted my heart. We were then able to dance and play with the children. Andrew, one of the volunteers, took us on a tour of the facilities and we ended up playing a little soccer out back before we said our goodbyes. By the time we left, my heart had been changed by the sheer joy and laughter on the kids’ faces.

Next, we visited Mathare Slum to visit the Community Transformers. Mathare slum is the 2nd largest slum in Kenya and is heavily affected with HIV/AIDs. One of the main missions of the Community Transformers (CT) is to provide support for those who have been infected with HIV/AIDs and/or have family members that are affected. We were able to visit two of their clients who shared their stories. One lady had to close down her business and now has no money. The man that we visited went through a lot of trials when he found out his status, especially with his family. Listening to these stories and how they either learned of Christ or have always relied on their Faith really brought joy to my heart. It was amazing to see how little they may have, how sick they are, and how much they have had to endure, but in the end they rely on God every single day with an unending faith. Sandy sees it as them furthering the Kingdom of God more efficiently than she does because their stories and testimonies are so empowering. I completely agree with her!

Today we were able to go back to Kathi’s house and give them some of the soccer balls, cleats, and jerseys that were donated to PFC. They were so excited to see the new equipment, especially since they have been playing in normal shoes. They said we were just in time to equip them for a tournament they are in tomorrow.

As I prepare to leave on Sunday, I think back to my experience for the last 3 weeks. I don’t even know where to start, because I have learned so much about God, others, and myself. God has taught me so many lessons along the way. He has used people to touch my heart and show me what Faith really is and what it means to further the Kingdom of God. I’ve learned that even though there may be language barriers and cultural differences, sometimes a simple smile can just break through all of it. I’ve learned some Swahili, I know that I never want to drive in Kenya, I know that not having a real shower for 5 days really is okay and that baby wipes and rain water can be used instead. I’ve learned all of that and so much more!

Please continue to pray for us as we finish our weekend here with PFC. I will be heading home Sunday night, but the others will be staying an extra week in Kenya, so be sure to keep checking on their updates.

I also ask that you please continue to pray for Stephen. We admitted him to the hospital on Wednesday and he still isn’t doing very well. He is one very sick little boy and could use many prayers of healing!

~Samantha

P.S. If you want to know a little more about Community Transformers, please visit http://www.partnersforcare.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119&Itemid=183

No comments:

Post a Comment